Commencement is an exciting and memorable occasion for all of our graduates, but also a dignified and solemn one. Leaving before the ceremony has ended is disruptive and disrespectful to others. Graduates and their guests are expected to remain for the entire ceremony. The last graduate to cross the stage should expect to receive the same honor as the first, so please show consideration for all graduates by remaining seated until the conclusion of the ceremony.
Please silence all mobile devices and refrain from excessive talking, cheering, use of noisemakers and other distractions, as this takes away from the dignity of the ceremony. Watches with alarms, cellphones and beepers can be distracting and annoying.
- Out of respect for all graduates and guests, please switch any and all of your electronic devices to silent, vibrate or off.
- Please notify a Marshal or someone on the Commencement Committee as to the proper annunciation of your name to ensure that it is pronounced correctly during the commencement ceremony.
- Graduates should wear comfortable shoes to assist with ease of crossing the stage and managing stairs, as well as standing for a long period of time.
- Note that temperature in the arena can fluctuate during the ceremony.
- Graduates should leave personal items like coats and purses with guests. There are no facilities available for storing these items during the ceremony. Alcorn State University cannot be held responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged items.
- Arrive early enough to allow adequate time to line up for the procession.
- Dress appropriately for this special occasion.
- Alcohol is strictly prohibited.
- Alcorn is a tobacco free campus.